Day 8

Shopping day.  After a great day working with the teachers during which we Skyped with Rocky Wilson, Technology Integration Specialist with Palliser Regional Schools, I went looking for things to take back for my family.  There is a market down the street and the ladies there are very accomodating.  They helped me pick out some treasures and then blew me kisses when they found out I was Canadian.  At the Royla Bank of canada (yes, I wrote that correctly) I had to show two pieces of ID in order to exchange some American money into East Carribean dollars!  There was a guard that locked and unlocked the door to left people in!

There are a number skilled leather sandal makers here and I snagged a couple of pair for whoever they fit!  I spent two hours going in and out of shops, checking out all the nooks and crannies on the narrow streets.  There are lots of teeny, tiny shops and vendors are also set up on the sidewalks. Most have only a limited number of items for sale – probably because they don’t have the space for more.  I did find a bar of milk chocolate at Jolly’s Pharmacy.  This is not easy to get here because unless a store is air conditioned (and most are not), they end up being a melted mess!

One of the teachers in my sessions brought me some mangos today.  So sweet.  Nothing like the ones we get in Canada. There are lots of interesting fruits and vegetables here; spices of every kind and description, too.  Just a few more days and we will be on our way back to Canada.  Check out the map below. Our hotel is on Old Street, just a few blocks from the sea.

1 thoughts on “Day 8